no edit summary
The monastery was founded in 1256 under the rule of “Ludwig der Strenge”, Duke of Bavaria. After having beheaded his first wife on mistaken suspicion of having an extramarital affair he was ordered by Pope Alexander IV to build a monastery. Perhaps partly due to his sense of guilt thereafter, the Duke maintained and equipped the monastery favorable until his death in 1294.
The beer garden with its impressive castle-like baroque monastery has become popular
amongst locals who often come in groups of friends to unwrap their home cooked food in true Bavarian style. For those who do not bring their own food, the restaurant and self-serviced area offers Bavarian specialties, using local and often ecological ingredients from the surrounding farmland. The beer garden is part of a 4-star hotel by the same name, situated in a separate section of the monastery.
<googlemap version="0.9" lat="48.170355" lon="11.247857" zoom="15" controls="large">