no edit summary
The section where the self-service food stall is now located was built in 2002 in style of the old architecture. The restaurant, which is still part of the original structure, dates back to the the 13th century. The current restaurant in the same premises as well as the beer garden opened in 2003. The beer garden is partly shaded by sun-umbrellas and one huge tree at the centre of the self-serviced area. The self-serviced area has 550 seats and the serviced terrace has 160 seats.
monastery was founded in 1256 under the rule of “Ludwig der Strenge”, Duke of Bavaria. After having beheaded his first wife on mistaken suspicion of having had an extramarital affair he was sentenced to build a monastery by Pope Alexander IV. Perhaps partly due to his sense of guilt thereafter, the Duke maintained and equipped the monastery favourable until his death in 1294.
The beer garden with its impressive and castle-like baroque monastery backdrop has become popular amongst locals who often come in groups of friends to unwrap their home cooked food in true Bavarian style. For those who do not bring their own food, the restaurant and self
-service canteen offers Bavarian specialties, often using ecologically grown ingredients from the surrounding farmlands. The beer garden is part of a 4-star hotel which opened in 2008, also named Fürstenfelder, but situated in a separate section of the monastery.
<googlemap version="0.9" lat="48.170355" lon="11.247857" zoom="15" controls="large">